Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Photo: Michael and the tree

On the first two Fridays of each month, I showcase a family photo and answer the “who, what, when, where and why” of that picture. The first week’s Friday photo is taken from my side of the family and the second week’s Friday photo is chosen from my husband’s side of the family. (I got the idea for this column from Amy Coffin’s ebook The Big Genealogy Blog Book advertised on her The We Tree Genealogy Blog.)

Michael Demoskoff standing beside a felled spruce tree 1958
Michael Demoskoff, 1958

Who:
My husband Michael Demoskoff, when about 5 years old.

What:
Michael stands beside a felled spruce tree. When I asked him about this picture, he told me he remembers being happy when his Dad took him where he was working.

When:
The photo was presumably taken in March 1958. (There’s another photo in Michael’s family album in which his father Bill is clearing part of his property and which is date stamped “Mar 1958”.)

Where:
Bill’s farm was 10 miles north of Pelly, Saskatchewan. His land (a quarter section) was situated in the parkland area of the province.

Why:
Bill was approached by the power company to clear a strip of land on his acreage for a new powerline right-of-way. He did the work himself with an axe, a crosscut saw, and one or two horses.

I love this photo of Michael, wearing a hooded winter jacket, with one mittened hand on the tree. He's got a big smile on his face, clearly happy to be right where he was, as if he might have been the one to bring down this giant of a tree.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful photo Yvonne!!!... Am quite surprised that the power company expected Bill to clear his land for the "powerline right-of-way" but guess that's the way it was back in 1958... or is that still the way it is in 2013? Thanks for sharing, Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check with my father-in-law to see if he was paid to clear the land, Catherine. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one that sees the black bear in the background???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bears in this picture :) My husband would have remembered something like that when we talked about the photo before I uploaded it to my blog.

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.