Thursday, September 13, 2012

Family History Through the Alphabet – R is for…

R is for ... religious records.

Religious records are an important source of information to me as a genealogist. With these records, I can trace principal moments in the lives of my ancestors like their baptisms, marriages and burials. Other sacramental records (for example, First Communion and Confirmation) and non-sacramental records (like Profession of Faith) add another, wonderful dimension to my research and help me paint more complete portraits of the members of my family, relatives and ancestors.

Some of my treasured religious records include my grandmother’s burial record, my father’s certificate of religious instruction, my sister’s baptism record, my brother’s Confirmation record, my marriage certificate, and my son’s First Communion record. 

Maurice Belair's certificate of religious instruction, 1939.

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice certificate.
    Also - 'Good job' helping Linda locate the baptism record for Leda Chabot! I know she must very happy you were able to find it.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that certificate, Theresa; it's one of the oldest items I own that used to belong to my late father. I'm glad I was of some help to help Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The certificate pictured is beautiful, and you're certainly lucky to still have family certificates that have been kept. And you're right, they are a great source of information too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The certificate, despite being somewhat wrinkled, is in fairly good shape. It must have meant a lot to father, who kept it all of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree about the joy of church records but aren't you fortunate to have found such a variety of examples in your own family. Don't you love ancestors who "hoard" papers. BTW you might be interested in my Beyond the Internet post on church records here http://cassmob.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/beyond-the-internet-week-11-church-archives-can-be-goldmines/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment, Pauleen. I am indeed fortunate that my parents, grandparents and other relatives (mostly) kept church-issued documents and that they didn't mind sharing or giving me these precious papers. I left a comment on your post about church records, btw.

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.