Wednesday, September 05, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy - Week 36: Ancestors Photos

For which ancestral photograph are you most grateful? Who is in the photo and how did you acquire it? Why does the photo hold a special place in your heart?


Pierre Belair (1851-1941)

I am most grateful for this ancestral photo of my great-grandfather Pierre Janvry dit Belair.

Pierre was the eldest child of Paul and Angélique (Lalonde) Janvry dit Belair. He was born in December 1851 in Ste-Cécile-de-Masham, Gatineau County, Quebec. He lived to a great age, married three times, and had 15 children. Pierre died in May 1941 in Ste-Cécile-de-Masham.

The photo (which is a copy) was sent to me over twenty years ago by my Dad’s cousin Suzanne. My parents and I visited her and her mother (my father’s aunt Almina) in the summer of 1986. After our vacation, Suzanne and I corresponded and she sent me family information and photos.

Pierre’s photo holds a special place in my heart, because it’s the oldest image I have of my patrilineal Belair ancestors and it’s (possibly) the earliest known image of Pierre. (I don’t know when or where the photo was taken, but it appears to be a studio portrait done in the 1870s when Pierre was in his early 20s.)

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff

No comments:

Post a Comment